Wolfgang Baum has 40 years of continuous professional experience in process mineralogy for geo-metallurgical work including support of exploration, mine site geology, plant metallurgy, process technology and optimization for concentrators, heap & stockpile leaching, pressure oxidation, smelting, refining, and environmental services.
Lab Automation & On-Line Analysis
As part of this activity, he was instrumental in the construction of an Automated Sample Preparation and Chemical Lab for Copper Operations using the latest Robotics Technology. In addition, he was involved in the design, construction and operation of 2 Automated XRD-NIR/FT-NIR Labs for daily/weekly ore characterization.
He initiated the early testing of Cross Belt Neutron Analyzers for copper concentrators and a neutron-based downhole probe for blast hole analysis.
He has been involved in the development of HPGR comminution for metals mining since 1993. This includes operating the first commercial HPGR pilot plant lab in North America. His HPGR experience is specifically focused on the benefits of HPGR for metallurgy including the use of HPGR for heap leaching in both gold and copper operations. He has extensively published on HPGR applications.
- Copper/molybdenum and gold/silver operations in North/South America and the African Copper Belt.
- Other plant experience includes iron ore, lead-zinc operations, uranium, potash, phosphate, sulfur, arsenic, and heavy minerals.
- Extensive work in process-mineralogical concentrator surveys using automated mineral analyzers, plant sampling campaigns and metallurgical ore type variability testing. Operational mineralogy support work on numerous North American, South American and African plants/ore deposits including:
Gold and Silver Operations
El Indio, Yuba Placer Gold, Various Nevada Gold Operations, Witwatersrand Operations, Colombian & Peruvian Vein Ores, Rodalquilar
Copper and/or Molybdenum Operations
Chile: Damiana, El Salvador, Radomiro Tomic, Gaby, Candelaria, El Abra, Tesoro, Sierra Gorda
Peru: Cerro Verde, La Granja
North America: Morenci, Sierrita, Safford, Bagdad, Chino, Tyrone, Henderson, Climax
Others: Grasberg, Kidd Creek, Sossego
Southeast Missouri, Aguilar, Balmat, Woodlawn
Pea Ridge, Various Chilean, Michigan, Brazilian mines
Nickel Laterite: Madagascar
Multiple “Colorado-Plateau-Type” Uranium Ores
Monaca Zinc Smelter, Herculaneum Lead Smelter, Various Copper Smelters
Wyoming Soda Ash, West Texas Sulfur, North Carolina Phosphate, Argentina and New Mexico Potash
Tailings Sites, Former Smelter Sites, Mercury Contaminations, Beneficial Reuse of Industrial Residues, Expert Witness Services
North America, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Namibia, DR Congo, Germany, Poland, Spain, Scandinavia, Central & Southern Europe, Turkey, Australia and New Zealand
Mining Industry Experience
|2011-2015 FLSmidth USA Salt Lake City||Director, Process Mineralogy & Plant Optimization|
|2007-2011 Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.||Director, Material Characterization|
|1999-2007 Phelps Dodge Mining Company||Director, Material Characterization|
|1987-1999 Pittsburgh Mineral & Environmental Technology||Vice President & Chief Mineralogist|
|1984-1987 St. Joe Minerals Corporation||Head-Process Mineralogy Labs|
|1981-1984 Texasgulf, Inc.||Senior Mineralogist|
|1978-1981 Hazen Research, Inc.||Mineralogist|
|1976-1977 DAAD||Field Mineralogist, Colombia|
- Conceptualized, designed, built and operated 6 state-of-the art Process Mineralogy Labs
- 1 Robotics Sample Preparation & Chemical Central Lab (largest in Copper Mining)
- 2 Automated XRD-NIR Labs (the largest of their type in mining)
- 1 Mine Site Process Mineralogy Lab (Peru)
- 1 Mobile Field Mineralogy & Geochemical Set-Up (Colombia)
- Established Geo-Metallurgy Programs for 7 mining companies
- Provided Ore Characterization & Process Mineralogy for 6 new ore deposits
- Participated in the startup and/or optimization of 10 leach/concentrator operations
- 2 Patents: 1 in HPGR use for metallurgy, 1 in steam-cured brick manufacturing from fly ash
- Established the first commercial HPGR Test Lab in North America.
1987 Dr. rer.nat Mineralogy Philipps Universität, Marburg/Germany
1978 MSc. Geology, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas
1975 Diploma (Dipl. Mineralogist), Justus Liebig Universität, Giessen/Germany
2015 Inducted into IM International Mining Technology Hall of Fame
2009 James Douglas Gold Medal – The American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical & Petroleum Engineers
2008-2009 Colorado School Mines Advanced Mineralogy Research Center –Member-Advisory Board
1980-1981 Colorado School of Mines Part-Time Instructor Ore Microscopy
Member SME – Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration